Friday, May 20, 2005

Another word from the America is to blame crowd via:HughHewitt.com

Indra Nooyi, CFO at Pepsi, commencement speech at Columbia University really hit a sore nerve with me and by now lots of other bloggers as well with her America-gives-the-world-the-middle-finger speech. I am swearing off Pepsi and Fritos and I encourage you to join the protest as well. Here are the choice comments by Nooyi found at Hewitt's site:
"As the longest of the fingers, [the United States] really stands out. The middle finger anchors every function that the hand performs and is the key to all of the fingers working together efficiently and effectively. This is a really good thing, and has given the U.S. a leg-up in global business since the end of World War 1.

However, if used inappropriately --just like the U.S. itself-- the middle finger can convey a negative message and get us in trouble. You know what I'm talking about. In fact, I suspect you're hoping that I'll demonstrate what I mean. And trust me, I'm not looking for volunteers to model.

Discretion being the better part of valor...I think I'll pass.

What is most crucial to my analogy of the five fingers as the five major continents, is that each of us in the U.S. --the long middle finger-- must be careful that when we extend our arm in either a business or political sense, we take pains to assure we are giving a hand...not the finger. Sometimes this is very difficult. Because the U.S. --the middle finger-- sticks out so much, we can send the wrong message unintentionally.

Unfortunately, I think this is how the rest of the world looks at the U.S. right now. Not as a part of the hand --giving strength and purpose to the rest of the fingers-- but, instead, scratching our nose and sending a far different signal."


HughHewitt.com: "The Yahoo message board for Pepsico is not happy with the company's ineffective response to consumer anger with COO's Nooyi's 'America is the middle finger' speech. Michelle Malkin brands Pepsi the 'new Eason,' and provides a round-up of links. No mention of the consumer anger at Pepsi for its COO's analogy or displeasure with the non-apology apology in MSM, so the story may seem to PR types at Pepsico to be passing. So it seemed to Eason Jordan. Those Pr types might want to have a look at this, and at this."

No comments:

Post a Comment