Monday, May 16, 2005

On Capturing the Zarqawi thug dude Via:Reverse Retna from the Sandlot

One conversation, between an American and an Iraqi, on capturing the the thug dude...discovers a hellava blind spot that can only be healed by freedom.
Reverse Retna from the Sandlot: "A lesson in Diversity
The other day I was in my SSSA (secret secure smoking area) at work and one of the Transitional National Assembly staff stopped to have a smoke. After the regular exchange of niceties I asked how things were coming along with the New Government. The guy told me that things were going well but it would work out a lot better if we could catch Zarqawi. He actually said 'when you catch Zarqawi.' I responded 'Insha'llah' which means 'god-willing' in Arabic. He then asked a question that gets asked a lot around the world...'Why can't you catch him?' I was a bit taken aback. I told him it wasn't for lack of trying. A quick look on google will tell you that we're constantly chasing that nut-case but my reply is that for all the strength and technology in the world nothing can replace the help of a concerned citizen. Most police officers will tell you, short of a stupid criminal, the thing that usually solves a case is an eye-witness or anonymous tip. I explained that we need the help of the average Iraqi. When someone sees Zarqawi he needs to call either the Coalition or the Iraqi security forces and report it. We're not from here...We don't speak the language and can't tell the difference between the people in terms of dialect or dress. We need their help in this as much as they need ours. He said he understood and that it was a strange concept to him. I asked what was strange. His reply was one that I think most Americans take for granted because his answer seems so simple to us. The concept that he found strange? In his words 'That a single man could change the world.' He had a look of revelation in his eyes that told me he just stumbled onto one of the many facets of real Freedom...

Yoshi, Out...."

No comments:

Post a Comment