Monday, September 21, 2009

Orwell's Six Rules To Blog By

------------------ George Orwell
  1. Never use a metaphor, simile, or other figure of speech which you are used to seeing in print.
  2. Never use a long word where a short one will do.
  3. If it is possible to cut a word out, always cut it out.
  4. Never use the passive where you can use the active.
  5. Never use a foreign phrase, a scientific word, or a jargon word if you can think of an everyday English equivalent.
  6. Break any of these rules sooner than say anything outright barbarous.
Six is my favorite. Five I decline. I mean. I mean. If your sitting there, sitting right there, in the group W bench and you want to know what 2/8 means or Bravo one five or 3/11 means. Shoot. If you're here. Searching for Dragon Skin Info or maybe you want to see if there is something on your hearts treasure. Don't matter. If you are here and you need to have Bravo One Five explained? Molly, you in danger girl! As in you have no business hanging out here. First off you should know that I totally detest DOD Rules that mandate platoon, company, regiment, combat team, division identification. What is this---the friendly neighborhood post office! Forgetaboutit! EXcuuuseemmmeee! Are we at war or not! I know. I know. Marines are at war. DOD is at the Mall. FOUR: easy peasie. Damn son. If you have come this far and still can not figure out that the passive voice lurks in ly's and ing's aka Modifiers-- DAMN boy! you're in world of hurt! Three, I adore. Two, I aspire(time limits permitting,....come on...paychecks still have to flogged. I'm not exactly making Guinness money here) One, well, there, there, you go again. This is why SIX is my favorite. Hang in there you all!

No comments:

Post a Comment