Wednesday, April 07, 2010

From the WTF! File

NAWA, Helmand Province, Islamic Republic of Afghanistan (From left to right) Lt . Col. Matt Baker, commanding officer of 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, Sgt. Maj. Dwight D. Jones, sergeant major of 1/3, and Maj. Rudy Quiles, civil affairs team leader with 1/3, dressed in traditional Afghan ceremonial garb and headdresses in honor the occasion. (Official Marine Corps photo by Sgt. Brian A. Tuthill)






When I saw this photo-I recalled a memory going back 40 years to my first year of enlistment in the Marine Corps. I had been ordered to report to a base where veterans of the landing on Saipan, and Iwo Jima and Guadalcanal were still serving and like any 20 year I did not think anything of their presence other than to make sure I stayed out their way--prickly-- is the least of the descriptions for these men until came that day when we all, by company orders, required, requested and ordered to report in full dress. Now these men appeared in full anger. None were amused. Forced to present themselves in full regalia, these men were not ...well never mind. And while they bitched, one of them recalled a friend who had stuck it to command(while they were in the midst of fighting the Japanese)--who had ordered him away from his men--to present him with a Medal--what kind I can no longer recall or who this Marine was...what I can recall is that this Marine appeared on deck as ordered in his combat icky uniform. Ordered to shave, shower and dress he refused and said this uniform was good enough for me to get this medal-it should be good enough for me to get it pinned on. OMG.WTF would he say now.

No comments:

Post a Comment