Sunday, October 02, 2005

250 Marines/ 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion Home/The Daily News, Jacksonville NC

During the Paleolithic wars, Marines were not sent home as a unit rather were "rotated", individually or sometimes w/other Marines who had the same DOR. All were equal on the "lazy susan" and rotating home was called "going back to the world". In those ice age days of Dinosaur Marines, I rotated home alone. Landed in Travis AFB where an officious Army Cpl. asked me how much leave I wanted...30 days I replied...you get ten he said and I walked outside where a very kind taxi driver drove me and six other Marines to our various destinations. The trip took all day but the taxi driver refused all our tips and charged the minimum for a 150 mile trip. It was a hot July 1st and and I spent the following week flying off the couch to my foxhole in the rug. It was the best Fourth of July ever.



The Daily News, Jacksonville NC: "Also arriving home Friday from Iraq was about 250 Marines with the 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion. Maj. John Polidoro, the battalion's executive officer, said their job included securing service routes and conducting other security and stabilization operations."

No comments:

Post a Comment