Saturday, February 11, 2006

Silver Star for 1st Lt. Stephen J. Boada,

"Boada received a purple heart and a Silver Star medal for his gallant actions against the enemy while serving as a forward observer and forward air controller that day, but remains truly humbled by the experience.

"I think about what happened out there every day, and will for as long as I live," said Boada. "I think about what we could have done different. What we could have done to have those two Marines walk home with us."

Boada is now back with 1/12, but feels he should be going to Iraq with the Marines of 3/3.
"It just doesn't feel right and I regret not having the opportunity to deploy with them again," said Boada. "I try to keep in touch with all of the Marines I was with."

Campbell said he feels the award for Boada is a much deserved one.

"He is an artillery officer," said the Jackson, Tenn. native. "The things he did, he didn't have to do. He put himself in harms way and did everything he could do to try and save those two Marines. We all did everything we could do, and it was truly an honor to work with Lt. Boada."

Boada felt differently about his role in the situation when asked.

"The Marines I was with that day deserve the recognition," said Boada. "They all need to be talked about, talked about more than me, they are all amazing."

Marine Corps News> Marine recalls Silver Star actions

No comments:

Post a Comment