Friday, January 15, 2010

just another no account Dinosaur Marine

Marine Corps Times A 68-year-old Marine veteran fended off a knife-wielding, 6-foot-tall, 300-pound attacker in a Cumberland, Md., parking lot during a minutes-long struggle on Sunday, local media reported.

Ronnie Welsh, wearing a Marine Corps ball cap, was exiting his vehicle with his wife Nancy Welsh, 66, near the Country Club Mall when the suspect, convicted armed robber Woodrow Tavon DeVaughn Small, demanded Welsh’s money, the Cumberland Times-News reported.

“He said, ‘Marine, I want your money,’ ” Welsh told the paper.

Small punched Welsh and knocked him to the ground. A struggle ensued and Small drew a knife.

“I grabbed [the knife] by the blade and then the handle and took it from [Small],” Welsh told the Times-News. “He backed off of me and then went for my wife. I got up and went after him. … I was trying to get to his throat. He must have had my arm. I couldn’t get to his throat like I wanted to. It was just chaos. I was poking at him.”

The ordeal ended after Welsh chased Small off and police arrived to search the area. Small was found underneath a nearby vehicle, arrested and brought back to the scene of the crime to be identified by witnesses. Welsh verbally confronted Small when police brought him back to the scene of the assault.

“When you approached me, you called me a Marine. I am a Marine and I will always be a Marine,” Welsh reportedly yelled at Small.

“When you go through boot camp in the Marines, they teach you to survive. I tried to survive. My training as a Marine came in to play,” Welsh told the Times-News.

No comments:

Post a Comment