Friday, January 22, 2010

A Sucker for Christmas Dinners

I am a sucker for Christmas Dinners. Now.

Christmas 1967 -not so much. I do not remember Christmas Dinner. Must have had one. Marine Corps mandated one dinner, Christmas, Dinner. What I do recall is going on a truck convoy with the One Five somewhere to create a free fire zone. Spent the day moving Vietnamese people out of their hard packed dirt floor huts onto our trucks for a life away from what they were used to living. Orders. Create a free fire zone. AKA-Meaning any thing farts, squawks, belches, after dark is fair game for the 105's. I had a pocket size radio with an ear plug. I listened to Bob Hope on AFARTS radio in Vietnam. No body had a good word for the office pogs that day. One Five was supposed to send 2 men from each company to watch the Bob Hope Show. Bull shit. We were short handed as it was...so no body from the front line went....except office pogs in Da Nang.

No comments:

Post a Comment