Thursday, July 07, 2005

LTCOL M. P. CHENÉ: Farewell Letter to 4th LAR Marines, Sailors and Families

From: Commanding Officer

To: Marines, Sailors & Families of 4th LAR

Subj: CHANGE OF COMMAND

Marines, Sailors & Families of 4th LAR,

I wanted to take a brief opportunity to thank each and every one of you for the tremendous opportunity you have afforded me to be associated with this battalion for the past 11 years. Certainly the pinnacle of my career has been the last 19 months as your Battalion Commander, but each of my several billets with this battalion has been remarkable in the fact that I have worked with some of the most professional young men and women that I have ever been associated with in my 23 years in the Marine Corps. I’m as proud as I can be to claim 4th LAR as my home in the Marine Corps.

I would like to extend welcome to our newest brothers from E Co. in Syracuse, NY &

F Co. in Columbia, SC, both formerly of 8th Tank battalion. We look forward to your successful transition from Tanker Marines to LAR Marines! We also look forward, as a battalion, to learn from your expertise and the benefit to us of your re-designation into what is now the largest Combat Arms Battalion in the Marine Corps.

I can’t depart without also paying particular homage to the Key Volunteer Network in the battalion. I have become intimately involved with literally hundreds of the family members of the Marines & Sailors of this battalion and hold you all in the highest regard. You will always have a special place in my thoughts. In particular, I must recognize the extraordinary efforts of Mrs. Jennifer Miner, my KVC, but more importantly, my confidant and very dear friend. I cannot define here how much Jennifer has meant to me personally, but I know that those of you who have known her and benefited from her remarkable generosity share my admiration and appreciation.

During my time here, we have been called Light Armored Infantry, Light Armored Vehicle, & finally 4th Light Armored Reconnaissance Bn. We have been referred to as Ironhorse Marines, Task Force Scorpion and even recently, some of us as part of 8th Tank Bn., but always as Marines. You have earned your title as Marines in both war and peace and have distinguished yourselves within the most elite fighting force in the world.

Our continued Global War on Terrorism will not end soon and I anticipate that the participation of this battalion will continue to distinguish the Marines and Sailors of 4th LAR as a professional and lethal force multiplier within the Marine Corps and our nations military.

As I hand over the reins of the battalion to the XO, Maj. Greg Hallinan, I ask only for the same dedication, professionalism & devotion to duty that you have shown me. I have had the distinct pleasure to work with a remarkably adept and professional Inspector-Instructor staff and appreciate with great admiration their continued support and tremendous dedication to our overall success. Without them, we would certainly not be able to attain the level of proficiency that we now enjoy. Thank you again and as I prepare for deployment, I’ll continue to praise the Marines & Sailors of 4th LAR around the Marine Corps. Best of luck and continued success to all of you.

Semper Fidelis,

M. P. CHENÉ

LTCOL USMC

No comments:

Post a Comment