Friday, July 15, 2005

A Royal Marines Major is leading 2nd Marines and a problem no one wants to talk about

Yes, you read the headline correct. A Major from Her Royal Majesty's Marines is leading a unit of U.S. Marines (Bn. ? Co. ?) as their (CO? XO) impossible to say from the UK News Telegraph. Major Richard Maltby, 34 from Swindon "led 408 men in a sweep of the Euphrates valley to the east." They uncovered thousands of round of ammo as well as mortars, rocket launchers and machine guns. Quite successful.

"They sometimes have difficulty understanding what I am saying on the radio because of my accent," said Major Maltby.

Oh, sucks, the major is too modest.

Working with Brits is pure hell.

In the late Paleolithic Wars, when M-14's were the God's choice of weapon, I had the great "good" fortune to work with an "Englishman" and I might add you (whispers) are not to refer to our cousins as (English) they might be BLOODY Welsh and then you will get an EARFUL for your troubles. Stick with using "Brit". Brits must be their generic term inclusive of the entire tribe. So, listen, even if you were to get pass understanding what the Major said over the net and even if you made it pass their calling for a meeting in the "rest room" instead of the ready room there is still one more insidious trap our faithful cousins lay for the unsuspecting Americans. I will be blunt. They steal accents. No! I hear you gasp. Yes, yes, it is true. It is true. They steal accents. Unbelievable but true. To this day, I have no idea why they steal accents much less what they do with them. Perhaps it is their devious plot to Take Back the Empire. I pity those poor American Marines in close proximity to the Major. As you read this those poor Marines have no idea how their accents are silently being replaced with a British accent. In my own case, I had a strong southwest Texas accent where the proper pronunciation of "pen" is "pin" ....you can imagine the horror...the horror of my discovery that my accent had been stolen and replaced with a "Brit" accent. Oh my god! Fortunately for me, at the last second I was saved by an unexpected visit by a high school chum who promptly fell to the ground laughing his ass off at hearing my speech. Oh, the embarrassment of it all still haunts me and is seared seared into my .... Oy! What all this then, ay. Give us a pint here... Ihaven't got all day now have I.
Telegraph | News | The major from Swindon leading US marines in Iraq

No comments:

Post a Comment