Friday, July 10, 2009

CJ at A Soldier's Perspective On PTSD Stigma

A Soldier's Perspective blog has a great post up on PTSD. He declares the social stigma on seeking help for PTSD over. An must read article for today:

Why am I writing all of this? Well, for the same reason I started this blog – to get it off my chest. To "tell someone without having to tell anyone." It makes me feel better – a little. The last thing I want/need is sympathy or people feeling sorry for me. I'm no victim here! I don't want special attention, help, or pawing. I don't need pats on the back and I don't want to be a poster child. I don't want money, congressional testimony, or the support of VoteVets or IVAW who want to politicize these issues. I want other Soldiers to realize that the Army is serious about removing the stigma. I have a problem! And I'm still "Army Strong" in spite of it! Don't believe me? Screw up and I'll still nail your arse to the wall and start shooting darts. I'll still put you in the front leaning rest for a decade or "until I get tired." I can still pass my PT test, qualify expert on my weapon, and meet my daily suspenses (thanks to Outlook's "tasks" function).

There's nothing weak about me because I'm having these issues. I can still lead by example, accomplish the mission, and take care of my Soldiers. And if my Soldiers feel like they can't trust me or serve under me, tough! Suck it up until your ETS or call your branch manager and get the hell out of here. Thankfully, I have good Soldiers who embody the Warrior Ethos and Army Values. They see that I'm still very much in control as "Top."

The stigma is hereby dead. I challenge all leaders to understand this and apply it where they can. Our troops need to understand that there is nothing weak about seeking help. I know because it has been much harder to acknowledge these issues than to hide them. It's been a lot harder knowing I may very well be ending my career by admitting that I'm not all there mentally. Talking about this now after 15+ years – and prior to being eligible for retirement benefits – is probably the hardest thing I've ever done. I'd be lying if I said I wasn't worried. I am, but I trust the Army on its word and I'm challenging that mentality. And as I do so, I will be documenting most of my progress here. There are still a great many issues I will probably never feel comfortable talking about, but I owe to others out there that may be trying to hide their problems for fear of losing their jobs or risking their reputation. I need to lead by example. And if I can do it, so can you!

No comments:

Post a Comment